full screen background image

Richmond Primary School Richmond Primary School

Our History

image of school bellOur school has a proud history. Originally opened with 172 students in 1898, it was at that time surrounded by farming land. This connection with growing and developing its grounds continues through to the present time with such projects as development of our school’s Kaurna Trail, shady trees, grassed areas and modern playgrounds including a sandpit.

Over time, building works have accommodated the changes in student population. The original "Old School Building" has been renovated and currently accommodates the Out of School Care (OSHC) program and classes.

New additions to the school were completed in 1980 including two teaching blocks containing Junior Primary and Primary classes respectively. The central Administration Block contains offices, staff room and Resource Centre.

A  Gymnasium is constantly used by classes for physical education programs and assemblies and a fully networked computer suite is used by all students from Reception to Year 7. Students engage in dynamic learning through access to a range of digital technologies including Interactive White Boards in every teaching area.

In 2011, we celebrated the opening of our new school building funded under the Building the Education Revolution. Students and staff welcomed the purpose built classes that redeveloped the pre-existing Primary Unit to incorporate space for all Primary Years students, Intensive English Language Centre classes and an Art Room used by the whole school. A multi-purpose area has been established in our 'Old School Building' to accommodate classes in dance, drama and music programs.